Environmental Services

FREE Servsafe training videos on Covid-19 for food establishments and takeout operations.

These videos are about 10 minutes each and are available after registering.

Register for these videos here.

Calloway County Health Department provides environmental health services to ensure the safety of the public and the protection of the community. To better serve the public, office hours have been set for those individuals who need to meet with a health environmentalist.

Environmental Office Hours:
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.

State Plumbing Inspector Office Hours:
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.

On-Site Sewage sometimes referred to as private sewage includes septic systems for any type of establishment that cannot access municipal sewage systems. These include homes, businesses, schools, restaurants and many others and are regulated by the health department. This includes new installations and repairs made to existing systems.

The regulating process is two stages, the first is an On-Site Soil Evaluation and the second is the Permit to Construct the system. The On-Site Soil Evaluation consists of several environmental factors that contribute to the functionality of a septic system. This will let you know if the lot is suitable for the structure to be built. The Permit to Construct an on-site sewage system is a detailed plan describing all necessary steps and requirements for the installation of the system. The permit can only be obtained by a Kentucky Certified Installer or home owner that will be installing the system. During the installation process, the system will be inspected to ensure that all components and the construction meet the Kentucky Code.

For more information on The Kentucky On-Site Regulation, contact the Health Environmentalists at our health department or go to CHFS Environment

Plumbing permits are only available through the State Plumbing Inspector. The health department cannot issue a plumbing permit. An onsite sewage permit must be obtained prior to receiving a plumbing permit.

Public Facilities Inspections are performed on Schools, Hotel/Motels, Mobile Home/RV Parks, Public Swimming Pools, Tattoo Studios as well as other facilities. State law requires that the facilities listed above and others not listed be permitted through the health department and be inspected annually, bi-annually or on complaint basis. They are inspected to ensure that the facilities are kept in a sanitary condition to prevent sickness/disease or injury and also kept in good repair.

If more information is needed or if there is an interest in opening a type of public facility, contact our Health Environmentalists.

Regulated Food Establishments that serve the public are required by law to be permitted by the local health department. Some of the types of included establishments are restaurants, grocery stores, school and hospital cafeterias as well as several others. These facilities are inspected on either an annual, bi-annual or complaint basis. Scores for food establishments are based on a 100 point system and are public information.

If you are interested in starting a food service establishment, a Health Environmentalist will be able to give specific information relevant to the food service type. Also, go to hhttps://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/dphps/fsb/Pages/default.aspx or the 2013 FDA Food Code and for guidance on Food Establishments and Food Safety.

General Sanitation items include public health nuisance control, private well water testing, rabies, and septic tank servicing companies.

Public Health Nuisance items include mosquito control, rodent and insect control, surfacing sewage, household garbage disposal and any other unsanitary conditions that affect public health. Complaints of a public health nuisance are kept confidential and are properly investigated by our health environmentalists.

Private Well Water Testing is no longer performed by the health department, except for disease outbreak situations. However, private well water testing is available for a fee through Murray State University by calling one of these numbers: 270-809-6362 or 270-809-2786.

The Rabies program is responsible for identifying exposure of humans to animals which may possibly have rabies. There are two methods utilized to identify rabies in animals. One method is through a quarantine process which keeps the animal isolated for a specific time period while being observed for symptoms of the disease. The other is through clinical testing where as the animal is destroyed and the brain tissue is analyzed for the disease. All animal bite exposures should be reported to the local health department.

Septic Tank Servicing Companies are regulated by the health department and are required to be bonded and insured. They are inspected annually to ensure that they are meeting sanitary and safety guidelines set by the state. All septic tank servicing companies must be permitted by the health department before conducting service. For information on the permitting requirements, contact the health department.

Hepatitis A (English): Read the Hepatitis A - Disinfection for Food Facilities guidelines.

Hepatitis A (Spanish): Read the Hepatitis A - Disinfection for Food Facilities guidelines.

Boil Water: Read the Water Interuption for Food Service Establishments No Water / Boil Water guidelines.

Other Resources:

Mold: https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/dphps/emb/Pages/mold.aspx