WIC Education & Promotion

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program
and Breastfeeding Promotion/Peer Counselor Programs

Kangaroo Care Videos

WIC-Breastfeeding Promotion Grant and Peer Counselor Program

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children or WIC program is available at the Calloway County Health Department.  WIC is a federal nutrition assistance program administered by the USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all of part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filling_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

USDA and the Calloway County Health Department is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

The mission of the WIC program is to improve the health of low-income women, infants, and children who are at nutritional risk.  WIC provides nutrition education including breastfeeding education, a monthly food prescription of nutritious foods to supplement diets, and referrals to health care and social services such as maternal, prenatal, and pediatric health care services. 

If you are pregnant, recently had a baby, are breastfeeding or have a child younger than 5 years of age, the WIC program may be available to you if you meet the eligibility criteria. 

For more information about the WIC program and its eligibility criteria, please click on the links below or call our health department. 


To see the latest Nutrition and Breastfeeding State Newsletters, go to http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/mch/ns/Newsletters.htm.

WIC-Breastfeeding Promotion Grant and Peer Counselor Program

Shape the Future! Breastfeed

Calloway County Health Department operates a federal grant funded through the WIC program for breastfeeding promotion in the counties of Calloway, Graves, Marshall County, and the counties included in the Pennyrile District Health Department and Purchase District Health Department. 

The objective of the grant is to fund regional coordinator efforts to design breastfeeding promotional activities to increase the incidence and duration of breastfeeding in our region.  The methods utilized for breastfeeding promotion include mass media, direct client education, staff training, collaboration with local hospitals/coalitions, and community outreach. 

Breastfeeding peer counselor support is another way Calloway County Health Department supports and promotes breastfeeding.  The breastfeeding peer counselor program provides mother-to-mother breastfeeding support to women enrolled in WIC, utilizing a mother who has breastfed her baby or babies.  WIC breastfeeding peer counselors are trained using the Loving Support Peer Counseling Program. 

If you would like more information on breastfeeding or the peer counselor program, please contact Johnna Black, our Breastfeeding Coordinator, at the health department or click on the link below for our Breastfeeding Brochure.

View Our Breastfeeding Brochure